Lissa is available for training and consulting services related to health justice advocacy including implementing health equity-oriented care, trauma- and violence- informed care, health and social justice, and structurally-competent care. Please contact Lissa via the business inquiries form for additional information.
Resources & Education
- A social justice goal advocating for the highest possible standard of health and healthcare for all with recognition of the impact of social, political, and economic influences on health inequities.
- Reducing/eliminating health disparities adversely affecting marginalized communities.
- Advocates for full access for all to resources that contribute to health and well-being including:
- Quality Affordable Healthcare
- Education Access
- Affordable Housing
- Clean & Safe Environments
- Public Policies
- Stable Income & Job Quality
- Food Security
- Addressing health disparities through the use of Structurally Competent Care in the training and services of clinicians and in healthcare systems, community organizing, public policy, and research.
*Social Determinants of Health (SDOH):
- SDOH include factors such as where people are born, grow, work, live, and age as well as their likeliness to experience structural racism, discrimination, poverty, income inequality, interpersonal violence, and lack of community resources.
- SDOH have a significant impact on health and well-being and must be addressed utilizing community/systems-centered approaches and solutions to reduce health inequities and health disparities.
*Health Equity Resources/Trainings:
- EQUIP’s Health Equity Toolkit
- John Hopkins University Free Health Equity Courses
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Health Equity Resources & Social Determinants of Health Resources
- Future of Nursing: Health Equity Toolkit for Action
- Social Determinants of Health Overview
- Healthy People 2030: Social Determinants of Health Resources
- A Practitioner’s Guide for Advancing Health Equity: Community Strategies for Preventing Chronic Disease
- Abolition Medicine Resources
*Key Aspects of Equity-Oriented Care:
*Trauma- (and Violence-) Informed Care (TVIC):
- Recognizing how common trauma (overwhelm), violence, and structural violence is and the impact of these experiences on peoples’ lives and on their behaviors.
- Creating a welcoming environment as well as an emotionally, physically, and culturally safe environment for all.
- Supporting opportunities for trust, transparency, collaboration, choice, and connection.
- Offering strengths-based approaches to build one’s ability to cope and to be resilient.
- Acknowledging the barriers people face including the impact of trauma and structural violence.
- Free TVIC Foundations Curriculum (EQUIP)
- TVIC Principles Guide (EQUIP)
- Preventing, Recognizing, and Addressing Vicarious Trauma Guide (EQUIP)
*TVIC Practice Video:
*Social and Racial Justice Resources:
- Social and racial justice have a significant impact on health equity and health justice as structural injustices including racism, queerphobia, transphobia, sexism, ableism, and income inequality dramatically contribute to health disparities. These forms of injustice must be addressed for there to be equity and justice for all.
- Land Reparations & Indigenous Solidarity Toolkit
- Indigenous People’s History of the United States for Young People curriculum guide
- Standing Rock Syllabus
- How to Hide an Empire: A History of the US article
- A People’s History of the United States book excerpt
- Land Acknowledgments Pros and Cons resources
- Appropriation, Aggression, and Gaslighting post
- Alternative and Substitutes for Appropriative or Problematic Language Resource
- RACIAL JUSTICE
- Syllabus: History of Anti-Black Racism in Medicine
- Racial Violence in the U.S. Since 1660 article
- Racial Equity Tools
- Uprooting Whiteness Resources & Anti-Racism Resources for White people
- If You’re New to Abolition Study Guide
- Is Capitalism Racist? article
- Scene on Radio: Seeing White podcast series
- DISABILITY JUSTICE
- The Intersections of Disability Justice & Transformative Justice videos and resources
- Disability Justice Timeline
- UNDOING PATRIARCHY
- Relinquishing the Patriarchy Resource List by adrienne maree brown
- Why Patriarchy Persists (& How We Can Change It) article
- Understanding Patriarchy by bell hooks
- Undoing Patriarchy Syllabus
- LGBTQIA+ & GENDER INCLUSIVITY
- Pronouns: A Resource from GLSEN
- BlackTransLivesMatter: Actions & Resources for Solidarity
- ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE
This resource and education list was last updated in June 2022.